Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Have you received your EGM substitute yet?

About a week ago, there was a post on Kotaku letting former subscribers of EGM know that they'd be receiving Maxim in place of the shut down gaming magazine. Yesterday I received my first copy.

I was a big fan of EGM and still follow Dan Shu's work on Bitmob so I was disappointed when the magazine went the way of Lindsay Lohan's sanity. When I saw the Kotaku post I was pleased to see that I'd at least be getting something in return for a subscription I already paid for. I used to get Maxim a long time ago and enjoyed it, so I felt it was a decent trade. Until I started to read it. 
 
Maxim sucks. Granted, I'm no longer in their targeted 16-35 year old single male demographic, but what I read last night was poorly written, uninteresting, and condescending. As a blog writer I understand that most people like their information in quick, short bursts, but lets not insult your readers intelligence with puff pieces on Jesse James, lame jokes, and articles that can be read in 60 seconds. 

What happened to you Maxim? You've changed man, you've changed. And not for the better. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Got my replacement mag the other day as well.

    Pretty much thought the same thing. At least they have smokin hot gals to look at. They do have that goin for them. ;)

    ReplyDelete